Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Life's Youngest Recollections

Today I had an interesting experience. As I sat in my Oral Comm class today, I ended up having a rare recollection of something that was a blur to me. I wasn't sure if it was a dream or a flashback, but it was me when I was very young, most likely around 4 or 5 years old. I walked into a fairly large room, and I think that the room was a dark red and green color. An old man was laying on the bed, and he looked sick. He was coughing and he turned to me, and showed the slightest grin, before looking away. This bothered me the rest of my night, even during a slight nap I took after school, the dream or flashback reappeared revealing more detail behind this old man. My curiosity ended in Macaroni Grill where I explained the scene to my parents, and my mom froze. Then after around 5 seconds she whispered "That is your grandfather." Apparently this was a real event that happened in 2000, around a week before my grandpa died, at the age of 93. I was shocked. I wasn't sure whether to cry or smile. So I wiped all emotions from my face, sucked in the tears, and finished my Fettucini Alfredo which I could no longer taste. I felt as if my brain had been shot by a Taser, and I couldn't respond to anything.
Why was the timing so strange? I don't know, and quite frankly, I don't care. It was a strange, and slightly reassuring feeling to meet someone you don't remember, or has been gone through your life. I can truly say that this is my youngest recollection or memory in life. Rest in peace grandpa, you're now forever in my thoughts.

              Quote for the day:
There is no such thing as a "self-made" man. We are made up of thousands of others. Everyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the make-up of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success. - George Matthew Adams





No comments:

Post a Comment